IEDC_0018_Broadband ready
Government Organizations
County Recorders

Less formal businesses, such as a Sole Proprietorship or General Partnership, are not required to file with state government to come into existence. However if the business name does not contain the owner’s (owners’) name(s), it must be recorded with the Recorder of the county in which the business is located. Registration of a business name does not protect the name from being used by another business. Business owners may request a form through their local County Recorder or use a standard Certificate of Assumed Business Name.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Certified Development Companies

Indiana Statewide Certified Development Companies are Indiana's largest lender of funds from the U.S. Small Business Administration 504 loan program. SBA 504 funds can provide long-term fixed-rate financing for a business's fixed assets including real estate, existing buildings, construction of new buildings, and purchase and installation of equipment.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM)

IDEM staff members work hard to provide quality environmental oversight and technical assistance in your community and around the state.

Click here for more information.  

Indiana Department of Labor

The mission of the Indiana Department of Labor is to advance the safety, health and prosperity of Hoosiers in the workplace.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Department of Revenue

Indiana imposes various taxes on businesses. A single application is used to register with the Indiana Department of Revenue for sales tax, withholding tax, food & beverage tax, county innkeeper tax, motor vehicle rental excise tax, and prepaid sales tax on gasoline. A separate application is required for each business location. There is a $25.00 non-refundable application fee for a Retail Merchants Certificate. For more information, contact the Indiana Department of Revenue Taxpayer Services Division, Withholding: 317.233.4016; Sales Tax: 317.233.4015; Corporate Tax or General Information: 317.615.2662 or visit Room N-105 Indiana Government Center North, 300 North Senate Avenue Indianapolis, IN, 46204.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT)

The Indiana Department of Transportation's main mission is to plan, build, maintain and operate a superior transportation system enhancing safety, mobility and economic growth.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Department of Workforce Development

The Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) manages and implements innovative employment programs for Hoosiers, unemployment insurance systems, and facilitates regional economic growth initiatives for Indiana. Through DWD Employer Services, the department provides a variety of self-service tools for employers, including information about quarterly wage reports, unemployment insurance, federal bonding, job certification, required employer posters, and worker training programs.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Finance Authority

The Indiana Finance Authority (IFA) allocates the statewide volume cap for tax-exempt private activity bonds in Indiana. The IFA can also serve as a conduit issuer of tax-exempt bonds. Federal law determines the types of projects that are eligible and the amount of tax-exempt financing available. To the extent that the project qualifies under federal regulations, companies can apply for volume cap for the project under the current merit-based, competitive Volume Cap Guidelines. Companies must compete for volume cap on a monthly basis based on job creation or retention, wages, capital investment, project location, and other factors. Based on the amount of volume cap available, the highest scoring applications will be considered for final approval by the IFA Board. Contact the IFA for more information about the volume cap or other tax-exempt conduit bond programs.

Click here for more information.

Indiana Secretary of State

Business established as Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, Corporations or Nonprofit Corporations must file organizations documents with the Corporations Division of the Secretary of State. Although not required, boilerplate forms to establish for-profit and  nonprofit corporations are available from the Indiana Secretary of State's Business Services Division.

Click here for more information.


The Counselors to America's Small Business is a non-profit organization dedicated to the formation, growth, and success of small businesses nationwide. SCORE provides free confidential business counseling and low-cost seminars in all areas of business planning, start-up and operation.

Click here to learn more.